Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas arrived in the form of a sewing machine.

My son started preschool this year. I was totally ready to to be a house wife of leisure. Husband at work, kid at school, I had this whole bon bon , book reading lifestyle planned. The first month went great. The second month I caught up on my reading. The 3rd month arrived and brought with it the first stirrings of boredom. I cheerfully ignored those feelings for a few weeks. Month 5 I wanted a toddler apron smock and couldn't find any in a size, style or pattern that suited. I started plotting and scheming on a sewing machine. I can eventually blame all this on wanting a toddler apron for my son. Future guilt trip fodder! My husband this year, in what should be a hilarious, soon to come journey, actually listened  to my Santa list and under the tree arrived my new toy.  


Day 1) Learning to thread bobbins and the machine. Sweet, toy unwrapped and now time to play. What? It doesn't come with thread, for the price that was paid, it should have came with gold thread and a dwarf that sews for me. Barring I don't really live in fantasy land , typically, I dragged my son and husband to that scary place called Hellmart...Walmart..must learn to say Walmart. I then bought everything that could possibly be needed. Which is great as a non sewer I think I did a great job getting just the right stuff. Okay , okay you're right I just wandered tossing in random crap until my husband finally got annoyed and stomped off to look at televisions. My cheap side emerged and I chose defeat at this point and dragged him to go pay.

Returned home and tossed the kiddo some snacks and sacrificial father. "Go ask Dad to play UnoMoo". Now that my two guys are entertained in a riveting game of barnyard fun I set down to figure this "bobbin  and thread" thingy out. The makers of my machine have obviously met me in a prior life. Everything was labeled, numbered and came with large follow me directions. Thanks! It made me feel so smart. So machine all threaded and test stitches done and I realized it was bed time! Hmmm this may just be the thing I need to fill some time. 

Tomorrow, I'll be updating how my fabric , pattern, and Hobby Lobby trip turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment